The original Union Drawn Steel factory was erected on Victoria Avenue South in 1905. The company was a Canadian branch of a Pennsylvanian group. Thirty-five years later it was absorbed by the U.S. based Republic Steel Corporation. The company was and continues to be one of North America’s leading cold finished bar manufacturers.
Cold-drawing consists of pulling hot rolled steel bars through dies of a comparable shape but smaller size. The result is a strong, straight bar with a bright and smooth finish. The company produced steel for use in nuts and bolts, car parts, and agricultural equipment. The current building on Burlington Street was built in 1942. In 1993, an American businessman purchased the company and it became Union Drawn Steel II.
Source: Hamilton Industrial Trail
Photo Credit: Hamilton Public Library Archives