Built in 1905 as the offices for the Gartshore-Thomson Pipe and Foundry Company. The building was initially erected at corner of Stuart and Caroline St. but, in 1992 it was relocated to its present location. The Gartshore family had a long history in the foundry industry. In 1828, John Gartshore opened a foundry in Dundas, later taking on his son Alexander as partner in 1865. The foundry was hugely successful and provided jobs to over 150 men at its height. Unfortunately, the foundry was sold in 1869 resulting from a drop in consumer demand.
Alexander soon partnered with Thomas Cowie to establish a new foundry in Hamilton. The factory produced heavy castings for railway carriages. Alexander assumed control of the company – then the Canada Pipe Foundry – in 1875. The business rapidly expanded and soon produced cast iron for gas, water and sewer pipes. In 1904, the company changed its name to Gartshore-Thomson.
Source: Hamilton Industrial Trail