This site was once a beautiful example of Hamilton’s early industrial buildings. In 1919, the Carr Fastener company erected its first Canadian factory in Hamilton. Within a year, there were eleven workers busy making snap fasteners to hold the side-curtains of early “open” automobiles in this partially finished building.
By 1928, the company merged with the United States Fastener Company of Boston becoming the United-Carr Fastener Company. Over the next ten years the plant dramatically expanded, broadening its production line to include fasteners not only for automobiles, but also for clothing, boats, airplane curtains and parts for radios. Prior to the Second World War the company supported 150 men and women.
Post-war, they expanded once again to produce precision-made parts including electrical screw shells, TV connectors and pen and pencil components. In the 1960’s, the growing company left Hamilton to move to a larger facility in Stoney Creek.
Source: Hamilton Industrial Trail