The Baynes Carriage Company was one of the first industries to locate to the Harbour’s east end in 1906. In 1910, they merged with a couple of other companies forming the Acme Motor, Carriage, and Machinery Company Ltd. Unfortunately, the new venture did not last long and the plant went out of business.
In 1941, Montreal-based Canadian Liquid Air Company (CLA) purchased the property and began manufacturing liquid oxygen for industrial purposes, particularly metal fabrication; Stelco and CLA even united to perform air enrichment experiments to enhance steelmaking. The 1956 opening of Dofasco added to the demand for industrial oxygen. Today the company is called Air Liquide and it supplies oxygen to a number of industries and hospitals in the city.
Source: Hamilton Industrial Trail